Tuesday, March 30, 2010

First Week

Muy Familia e muy amigios, oi!

I landed safely in the land of Brazil! The weather is nice and warm, the humidity makes me smile and the odd thunderstorms (especially with the rain) make me feel at home! The food is good, but I am still getting used to it. I love that they have water.

Eric, and Dad thanks for the letters...Grandma thank you so much for the basket. My companion and district are praising your name! They all say thank you.

There were 18 of us on the plane. The guy sitting in front of me watched "This is It," the MJ movie and the guy on my right watched "STAR TREK" three times. I was trying so hard not to watch. Even without volume though, Spock, Uhura and McCoy still rock.



Sao Paulo is HUGE...looking out of the plane as we flew down, it looked like flying into New York...LA...and Seattle, well without the water that is. Then we were herded through customs and exchanged our money. After a near death experience...aka...driving in Sao Paulo...these drivers are CRAZY!!! Three of the sisters screamed, and I was in the front seat. Whenever we made a sharp turn or skidded in front of someone, I just remember Callen on the airplane as we were going through turbulence...WEEEE!!!! FASTER FASTER!!!!

We eventually made it to the CTM, and got moved in. My companion is a rock star...her name is Sister Poast and she is an EMT. She´s taller than me and already speaking the language wonderfully. We have two teachers...Luiz and Sister Fallion. Sister Fallion is so funny and she actually teaches us. Luiz doesn’t do as much, he spent three hours yesterday telling us how he met his fiancĂ©...but I can pray, bear my testimony, say sorry, thank you, I’m hungry and a few other phrases in Portuguese and I hope to learn a whole lot more soon.

Right now, there are only six in our district...but we’re expecting more from Provo later this week. There is a guy from Oregon, one from Gig Harbor, one from Arizona and the Corbitt’s cousin...yeah, not kidding! Four of us in my district are headed for Campinas, as well as three other people we flew down with. There are around 26 sisters and 200 elders in the CTM. Half of the sisters are American.

You guys are the greatest and I miss you all, but I am here doing the Lord’s work and I don’t regret anything at all. I miss all of my sisters, yes Megan, even you...ha-ha and Mom and Dad too. Hope everyone is doing okay, you should all write me :). I’ve waited so long for my mission, and now it is actually happening. So exciting. Hope all is well, hope everyone is doing okay. Know that I love all of you, and that you are all in my prayers.

All the best, Sister Shan Stapley.

No comments:

Post a Comment